Why my pickles are hollow? All of them!

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Why my pickles are hollow? All of them!

Postby creinosoh on Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Hello!!

I wonder if anybody had a similar experience?

It's my second batch of pickles. The first one turned out pretty well, but I observed some yeast on the surface. I used 2 tablespoons of sea salt and 1/4 cup whey on 1 liter of filtered water, plus some garlic, mustard seeds and fresh thyme. 10 fermentation days

I prepared the second batch and I decided to use only salt, no spices or whey this time. I used 3 tablespoon of sea salt on 1 liter of filtered water. 10 fermentation days. When I checked on them, they were completely hollow! all of them! :shock: . The skin of most of the pickles was firm though. I read on different blogs, that this could be caused by too much time between the gathering of the vegetables and the pickling. But I suspect that it might be also the increase in salt. Any thoughts?

Regards
Claudia Reinoso
creinosoh

Re: Why my pickles are hollow? All of them!

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 am

I've had the cukes form hollow spaces with a sort of diamond cross-section. Is that what you're seeing. I don't know what causes it, but the larger the cuke, the more likely it is, in my experience.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby creinosoh on Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 am

Hello!
This is how it looks. They ended up almost empty inside

http://fermentopia.cl/wp-content/upload ... 495143.jpg
creinosoh

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 am

Huh! They don't look like large cukes, either. If you can get similar cukes from the same source, you should try again -- maybe two jars at once, one with 2T salt and one with 3T. Also, bisect a couple of them before pickling to see if there's a hollow when fresh and raw.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments