Garlic ferment going golden.

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Garlic ferment going golden.

Postby Magra on Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:31 pm

Started my first Garlic ferment on Sunday.
Only Garlic with salt brine at 2.7% salt.
Bubbled very little first few days but now it only shows bubbles on the surface when I move it. The smell has changed. At the beginning it was stronger and more garlicky, now it is milder, like less peppery and sweeter. The brine became cloudy and still is, but now it is less cloudy when it is left to stand some time and has gone a slightly cream/ivory colour instead of white cloudy of the beginning. All the Garlic has also taken on a golden, cream colour.
Can someone with experience tell me if this is normal?
Magra

Re: Garlic ferment going golden.

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:12 pm

I mostly only ferment garlic with other things, like cucumbers, so I'm not sure I can be 100% positive that that's perfectly normal. But, nothing you wrote seems out of character. You should also be prepared for them to turn cyan -- that's the garlic trick that freaks most people out the first time. Also note, I've found that garlic retains it's heat and texture for years in brine, so don't expect too much in the way of changes over a week or two.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Garlic ferment going golden.

Postby Magra on Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:21 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I've been doing some investigating and found that as you say it is normal and good.
My firment is only a week old but I suppose it is going fast because of the high temperatures we are having. Now it is darker, closer to golden colour.
I tried the brine yesterday and it packs quite a punch of flavour.
Fascinated by all this.
Magra

Return to Vegetable Ferments