Dealing with surplus cabbage

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Dealing with surplus cabbage

Postby michael on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 am

Hi;

Although the summer was far too wet, this year, I've got an excellent crop of organic cabbage -- all destined (I hope) for sauerkraut, over the winter. However, I have one eight-cabbage fermenting crock, and about thirty-two cabbages -- and I'm wondering how to go about preserving those cabbages, while they wait in line for the crock! Will freezing the cabbages -- whole, in wedges, or shredded-for-sauerkraut -- work?

Thanks, in advance, for any tips you'd care to share!

Michael
michael

Re: Dealing with surplus cabbage

Postby Pillar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm

I've never tried freezing, then fermenting. My gut wants to say its a bad idea, though. The best thing about kraut is that it tastes fresh, and I would think that freezing the cabbage is going to rupture the cells in the leaves, kill the heads, and make bad kraut. Fermentation also relies on bacteria and starches on and in the cabbage, and I would think that freezing it would interfere with them, too.

I'd recommend storing the cabbages somewhere cool and dark. I've keep cabbages packed in dry straw in a cool, dark outbuilding for several months. Sometimes the outer leaves get nasty, but inside, the heads can store really well.

The other option you have is to find another fermenting vessel...I use 5 gallon food grade buckets, made for soy sauce, that i get free from behind chinese restaurants. . .
Pillar

Re: Dealing with surplus cabbage

Postby michael on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks, Pillar! I'll follow your advice.
All the best,
Michael
michael

Return to Vegetable Ferments