Basic Fermenting The Salt

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Basic Fermenting The Salt

Postby Chewy on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 pm

I do not know much about Sea Salt. I have always used Pickling Salt.

Maybe someone can explain the advantages of Sea Salt over Pickling salt.
Last edited by Chewy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewy

Re: Basic Fermenting The Salt

Postby SW MO Tess on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 am

Talked with my brother in Wales who does fermenting. Asked him if he always uses sea salt like I do and he says he does too. When it's boiled, the minerals settle to the bottom as it cools. By the time it's cooled and ready to pour, all the sediment is at the bottom. We don't pour the very bottom sediment.

I have also used rock salt with green beans. Removed the string, cut the beans in pieces, poured some rock salt over, put it all in a crock bowl, put a plate on the top and let sit on the counter for three days, stirring once each day. They make their liquid in 24 hours. Then into jars with screw lids. Don't brush off any salt that clings to the beans, but don't add salt or liquid either. I keep looking at these beans in the cupboard for signs of yuckiness and so far, after a month, they are still looking green and fine.

I also asked him if he uses his well water - he does. Both of us have hard well water and I've read this can affect end results. He said he has had no problems over the years. I have used both well water and "clean" water.
SW MO Tess

Re: Basic Fermenting The Salt

Postby fermented-vegan on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:40 am

The thing about salt that you have to remember, is that it doesn't matter whether it is taken from the sea or mined. What matters is whether it is refined, or unrefined.

Most westerners are familiar with the pure white refined salt. This is nasty stuff and is not how salt comes in it's healthy unrefined form. With refined salt, all of the dissolved minerals are removed from it, it is bleached to make it pure white, and then anti-caking chemicals are added to it, in addition to iodine. This is not what I use. And there is all kinds of health problems associated with a lifetime of ingesting refined salt. Much like pure pure refined sugars. Just do some research about it on the Internet.

My own personal goal is to eat much like our ancestors did prior to food processing, packaging and refined ingredients . This is where raw ferments with unrefined salt, purified water(if necessary), and organic vegetables play a part.

I'd use un-purified well water over the chlorinated and fluoride poisoned city water I have any time. Which is why I purify my water. The only thing being that I suspect that heavy mineralized well water would impart a flavor to the ferment. Particularly sulfur water. Yuck! But if you are acclimated to the taste of your water, you may not notice a difference.

Peace & Love from a vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Return to Vegetable Ferments