Persian Torshi/Tursu

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Persian Torshi/Tursu

Postby elektrogeist on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Going to the store in a minute to get supplies to make a big batch of this. Anyone have recipes/techniques to share? I'll be making it without the vinegar, full lacto ferment ;)
elektrogeist

Re: Persian Torshi/Tursu

Postby Chewy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Please post your recipe.
Last edited by Chewy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewy

Postby elektrogeist on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:51 pm

I followed the basic guidelines for ingredients, but not exactly as any of the online recipes for torshi/tursu say. And it seems theres a large number of regional variations on it throughout the balkans and middle east, so just mix up the basics and experiment!
For mine I've put in

1 whole cabbage shredded coarse
1 eggplant cubed
2 red bell peppers
1 good size cauliflower including the stem chopped/broken into florets
15 whole cloves garlic
7 or 8 mexican onions (like a not quite grown all the way onion with the greens still attached
4 stalks celery and some of the leafy tips
4 large carrots
3 pounds pickling cucumbers
1 half bunch cilantro
1 bunch mint
branch thyme
branch oregano
2 fresh sage leaves
and of course enough salt to sweat it all. traditional calls to add more or less vinegar, but i want mine to ferment more than become vinegar preserved. but when done they should be sharply tangy, crunchy, and moderately spicy as the ones i had in a persian restaurant were. the potatoes used are a specific sort for torshi so i dunno if you'd have luck unless you happen to have a persian market nearby. i left out any kind of potatoes but maybe next batch.
elektrogeist

Postby Chewy on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 pm

I agree that every recipe is different.
Last edited by Chewy on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chewy

Postby elektrogeist on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:17 pm

Some recipes use vinegar, some do not. I added enough vinegar for some extra zang, but not nearly enough to stop the fermentation. What I usually do now is ferment in a large crock, then after the majority of the fermenting is done but before anything begins to grow on the surface, transfer it to individual canning jars and seal. Almost never have a problem with anything growing on top in a sealed mason jar.
Much thanks to the Royal Persis in Vegas for turning me on to these pickles, they are indeed wonderful!
No luck on the potatoes, but apparently in Persian they are particularly called 'pickle potatoes' and only used for that purpose. Maybe grow your own or substitute similar heirloom potatoes, always fun to mix things up!
elektrogeist

Return to Vegetable Ferments