Can i add more salt to slow down a quick fermenting batch of

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Can i add more salt to slow down a quick fermenting batch of

Postby mattpickle on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 am

So i would like to slow down a fast fermentation i have going. I think i was to light on the salt to begin with. If i add more salt will it harm the ferment and the yeast. Or will it just slow it down.
mattpickle

Re: Can i add more salt to slow down a quick fermenting batch of

Postby fermented-vegan on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:56 am

Hello Mattpickle, :)

I have no idea. Perhaps if you are not that long into the ferment it wouldn't hurt anything. It's hard to say without having any direct experience. That's part of the fun of learning to ferment is experimenting. Give it a try and see what happens.

In my last batch of pickles after the ferment was done, I was low on brine after removing the dill, garlic, and peppercorns. So I added some more brine to the jars to keep the pickles submerged. I'm not sure this was a good idea though. It definitely increased the saltiness of the pickles. What it did to the good/healthy bacteria I have no idea.

Peace & Love from vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Re: Can i add more salt to slow down a quick fermenting batch of

Postby jpt120 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:48 pm

You can definitely add more salt if it is a ferment that calls for salt (as opposed to say, kefir). Lactobacteria can grow in salt, while other harmful organisms cannot, hence that is why salt is an ingredient in fermentation. It is my belief that yeasts cannot live in a high salt environment, but if you are fermenting veggies, you definitely dont want yeasts in there anyway. The more salt you use, the slower the ferment.
jpt120

Return to Vegetable Ferments