Pickled Diakon/Ice Radish

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Pickled Diakon/Ice Radish

Postby HellaD on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

In Morocco they always serve these delicious pink pickles with the falafals and other wraps. I really wanted to figure out how to make them and one day I realized it must be made from the Diakon. This vegetable has been pickled in lots of countries! Even in Burma it is quite a common tasty side-dish. Not surprising I guess it is from the same family as the cabbage and they seem to like being fermented. Anyway I found that adding a bit of beet to the diakon radish made them bright pink. Probably very healthy addition too. I have also found that slicing the ice radish has been most successful in keeping the pieces crisp.

In Morocco though, the tasty treats I mentioned above were cut quite chunky, like a 2 inch carrot stick. They are really delicious but I just can't seem to replicate the real cut/crunch/flavor combination...maybe it is the difference in cultures or something anyone have any ideas?

Here's a photo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/2319943242_69d766d6c5_m.jpg
http://helladelicious.com
the Homegrown Revolution is so Delicious
HellaD

Re: Pickled Diakon/Ice Radish

Postby sevenflowers on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am

Hi,

I have not tried making the fermented daikon in that way. Sounds like it would be a beautiful beet red. My usual way is simply to ferment it in whey and salt in a jar. Sometimes I add a bit of carrot to it if I have some growing. Also, I have found it to be wonderful in kimchi. It adds that wonderful bit of spicyness. Anyways, I will keep this tip in mind and perhaps try pickling the daikon with beets in the future. Thank you for the idea. I hope you find the recipe you are looking for.
sevenflowers

Return to Vegetable Ferments