Can I add more veggies after fermentation has started?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Can I add more veggies after fermentation has started?

Postby c.s. on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:13 pm

I am using a 5 gallon bucket to ferment some sauerkraut. It is about half full and about 4 weeks into fermentation. It tastes good so far. I have more cabbage and veggies that I'd like to chop up, salt, crush, then add to the bucket but I'm not sure that this would work out.

Does adding veggies later on in the fermentation process interfere with the bacterial transition and growth required to complete kraut?

Thanks
c.s.

Re: Can I add more veggies after fermentation has started?

Postby fermented-vegan on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Hello c.s., :)

I don't know that it would necessarily interfere with the fermentation process. It might slow down the fermentation process as the levels of bacteria build up again with increased liquid. But you would have some of it ready to eat before the other new veggies. And the ready stuff would be at the bottom. Which would not be very convenient to get out without mixing in the newer veggies. Mind you, this is all in theory. As I have not tried it. But that's how it seems to me it would occur.

Peace & Love from a vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Re: Can I add more veggies after fermentation has started?

Postby Gally on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 pm

I have done this and it is fine. I always mix mine up every day anyway cause I always make mixed vegetable crocks and some stuff gets done way sooner than others, for example, summer squash chunks before carrot chunks. So I dig around looking for stuff I can eat then pack it all back. So I add new stuff sometimes to take the place of the stuff I raided. Kind of an on-going crock deal.
Gally

Return to Vegetable Ferments