Flavoring after fermentation

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Flavoring after fermentation

Postby kshoffmann on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:11 pm

I am a first time fermentor prompted by a bumper crop of beautiful pickling cucumbers. I'm not sure if it worked, but I'm ready for the next step and need a little guidance. I have 2 crocks of cucumbers that have been in brine for 3-5 weeks now. The crocks are about 1.5 liters each. Because my cucumbers were not all ready at the same time, I started the brine, then added more cucumbers (and salt) as more were produced over about a 2 week period until the crock was full. So I'm not exactly sure what the salt concentration was, put think it was close to saturation. I didn't add any pickling spices to the brine.
Can I do that when I process them?
Should I "desalt" them?
Did I really mess up?
I can't find any recipes for the way I have started this. If it didn't work, that's ok. I have planted a ton of cabbages and can't wait to make sauerkraut! Thanks for any help. Karen
kshoffmann

Re: Flavoring after fermentation

Postby Tibor on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:09 pm

The way I do it is to accumulate cukes in the fridge until I have enough and then put up a batch. I do 2 TBS salt to a quart of water and add as much as is necessary to cover. That way everything is the same and the result is consistent with no guessing. I leave mine in a cool place for 2-3 weeks. Don't add pickling spices. Dry ingredients make it a mess and create" floaters" and mold. Add fresh garlic ,fresh dill, grape leaves to keep them crisp and hot peppers if you like. Put all that in the bottom and then add your washed cukes and add the brine. There may still be some dill floaters and specks of mold but simply pick them off with a small strainer. If you really want to learn fermenting buy Sandor Katz's book , Wild Fermentations. You will not be sorry.
Tibor

Postby kshoffmann on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:12 am

Thanks for the reply. Can I use wild grape leaves?
kshoffmann

Postby Tibor on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:59 pm

I don't see why not. You are after the tannins. Earlier this season I used too many grape leaves in one batch and it turned out a tad bitter. I would say 5 grape leaves per gallon is about right with the leaves I get off my neighbor's vine.
Tibor

Return to Vegetable Ferments