Hot Pepper Fermentation -- Advice/Observations

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Hot Pepper Fermentation -- Advice/Observations

Postby engimaticrat on Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I am a huge fan of Hot Peppers. I love them all from the mild to the very hot and I love the commercial pickled versions just as much.

My first natural fermentation project was Kimchi and while I am still in the process of completing it, I am looking forward to my next project.

I want my 2nd project to be Hot Peppers; however, I am having a hard time finding good information on pickling peppers effectively. Almost all the recipes I find on the internet are vingear based recipes which is not what I want.
I am not interested in roasting my peppers if I can find options that avoid that.

If no one is able to provide any information, I will log my results and observations as I work through this adventure for fellow pepper lovers who come after me.
engimaticrat

Re: Hot Pepper Fermentation -- Advice/Observations

Postby fermented-vegan on Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 am

Hello engimaticrat, :)

Your in good company! I also love hot peppers, and use habaneros and scotch bonnets in my cooking somewhat regularly. It never occurred to me to ferment hot peppers, but it sounds like a delicious idea! :D

Although you may not be able to find specific recipes for naturally fermenting hot peppers, the most basic idea is just to submerge the hot peppers under a weight in a salt brine solution and wait. ;) Use the basic brine recipe for sour pickles from this site, minus the other veggies and spices in a one quart Mason/canning jar.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/resourc ... ge=pickles

Try it plain, whether raw or roasted, and/or add whatever other veggies, or spices and herbs that you think would compliment the hot peppers. That's the beauty of fermenting veggies is that the concept and practice is essentially the same no matter what veggies you ferment.

If no one is able to provide any information, I will log my results and observations as I work through this adventure for fellow pepper lovers who come after me.

Either way, please keep us posted of what you have tried and how it tastes.

Peace & Love from a vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Postby k08 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Cortido- mexican sk

5 lb cabbage
1 cup carrots, grated
2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise and very finely sliced (red, white, or yellow)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used a tbsp jalepeno)
3 tablespoon sea-salt
k08

Postby practicallyraw on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:00 pm

I fermented Jalapenos and it was great for a bit, and then they went south. I didnt use enough salt. However they have real potential. They were surprisingly hot.

I used pieces in other ferments and it worked great.
practicallyraw

Return to Vegetable Ferments