Ferments just condiments?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Ferments just condiments?

Postby Habitant on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 am

Hi newbie fermenter here. I got into fermenting as a way to preserve the bounty from my garden.

I made a big batch of turnip and beet kraut. I like it. But either its the salt or the acidity I can only stomach about 2 maybe 3 tablespoons at one time. I made 20+ liters of the stuff, At this rate I'll be eating it for the next decade :lol:

I'd like to ferment more but whats the point in fermenting more than you can eat?

So my question is how does fermented food fit into your diet? Are they just a condiment on the side or does it replace veggies on your plate?

Thank you.
Habitant

Re: Ferments just condiments?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:35 am

I sometimes eat sour pickles in greater-than-condiment volumes and I add quite a bit of kimchi to rice or eggs -- still using it as a condiment, but in quantities greater than you're suggesting. But I mostly do eat my ferments as a condiment.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JohnDulleck on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:58 pm

I have seen a number of videos that warn about eating too much fermented vegetables for those who are not sued to them.

They suggest that a new consumer may suffer from any number of gastric upsets including gas, bloating, frequent BMs, etc. They also say that as you get used to the large numbers of probiotics that these upset generally subside.

So, if you haven't been eating your ferments for long, give it a little time and you may find your tolerance increasing.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby jdinid on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 pm

Pretty much condiments for me or as the vegetable portion of an antipasto platter. The exception would be chacroute garni which is braised sauerkraut with a variety of sausages.

I like the probiotic aspect of fermenting but there's only two of us and we only have one referigerator. As such, I usually put a jar of each ferment in the fridge and I have to shelf stabilize the rest.
jdinid

Postby kshoffmann on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:36 am

When you "shelf stabilize", does that mean you water bath process and seal? If so, does this processing destroy the beneficial bacteria and probiotic properties?
kshoffmann

Postby JohnDulleck on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 am

kshoffmann wrote:When you "shelf stabilize", does that mean you water bath process and seal? If so, does this processing destroy the beneficial bacteria and probiotic properties?

No. in the case of fermented vegetables, stabilization is accomplished by refrigeration only. Refrigerated, fermented vegetables can be stored for several months.

And yes, water bath and sealing will destroy all probiotic benefits.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby jdinid on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 am

Yes I have to waterbath because I don't have the referigerator space for a gallon of sauerkraut! Lol! Fermenting is done when I harvest from the garden, so timing isn't up to me, nor is the quantity.

Yes it does destroy the probiotic benefits but that's not why I ferment. It's one of several different preservation techniques I use for variety. We don't buy many vegetables at the store. And because of the probiotic benefit, that's why the first jar does go into the fridge.
jdinid

Postby AnnieBoo on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:09 am

Well I am a new fermenter here but it looks like we're going to be going through fermented foods pretty fast. My husband LOVES anything fermented or pickled, and went through a quart jar of densely packed 'kraut in a single week. He'd just scoop some into a bowl and eat it as a snack! Good thing it's super easy to make and quite healthy! So far he hasn't suffered any ill effects from it - in fact I think it's helping him with some chronic problems, so it's all positive.

I have three quarts of carrots fermenting now, and I noticed that one jar is less full than the others which is odd because they started out equally full. Upon questioning my spouse, it turns out he's been "tasting" from that jar daily. I should never have told him that a ferment is safe to eat at any point, LOL.
AnnieBoo

Postby gardener on Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:06 pm

I'd say I use most of my fermented vegetables as a condiment or as an appetizer. I can use a fair amount of it in a mackerel salad, egg salad, pasta salad, or potato salad. I think the sourness goes good in meat loaf or scattered through hot rice dishes, and in the sauces of Swedish meatballs. I really like the contrast of sour chunks or bits in heavy dishes. I love fermented green beans in beef stew.

Something sweet & fermented, such as beets, carrots, and burdock I might eat as a little snack, probably just a couple pieces.

However, with sauerkraut, I eat it as a "featured vegetable" at a meal, or larger snack. In that case I soak and rinse it a so that it is not so overwhelming. Oh, yeah, Sauerkraut is good in some vegetable soups, too, well especially in borscht. I like to add it into the the individual bowl. Rinse it or not according to how you think so much salt will benefit or detract from the soup.
gardener

Postby AnnieBoo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 am

I like the idea of using sauerkraut in cooking - I make a LOT of soups. It also hadn't occurred to me that I could rinse it off- the saltiness is a little bit much for my palate when eating it straight, so that's a good tip, too! Thank you!
AnnieBoo

Next

Return to Vegetable Ferments