Worm in my kimchi!!?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Worm in my kimchi!!?

Postby kshoffmann on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 am

Hello all,
I made kimchi using Savoy cabbage that I got from my local coop. I didn't notice any cabbage worms when slicing and preparing he cabbage, but fermented for about 1 week, then put in refrigerator for 1 week. I just checked it today and a very happy, plump green cabbage worm poked its head up near the surface. I also saw a lot of small green egg packets near the surface. Needless to say, it is going in he compost (I know some would eat it, but not me!).
I wouldn't have thought that a cabbage worm would survive in the fermenting environment. I will say that I did not have a lot of liquid above the veggies, just enough to keep them under the surface (I checked every day while fermenting). Also, I used a fresh collard leaf from my garden as my follower (which could have been the source), and a filled ball jar as weight.
I am getting ready to make a big batch of sour kraut with cabbages from my garden and am now freaking out about contamination from worms. I have used BT several times through the season, but not lately (November in Maryland...they should be gone!)
Has anyone experienced this? Thanks! Karen
kshoffmann

Re: Worm in my kimchi!!?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Not me!

Did you brine your cabbage and stuff? I'm not too surprised you found a worm, but I am pretty surprised that it was thriving.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Worm in my kimchi!!?

Postby kshoffmann on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Yes, I brined the cabbage just as for regular kimchi. I'm thinking it was the collard leaf and not enough liquid. And warm weather. We have just barely had a hard freeze here.
kshoffmann

Return to Vegetable Ferments