Salt-free sauerkraut

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Salt-free sauerkraut

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:06 pm

I suggested seeding it with a culture from a previous ferment. I think that would theoretically do the same thing as whey -- though I think it's more likely to be positive than whey, even if you weren't vegan.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JohnDulleck on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:35 pm

One possibility would be a vegan probiotic supplement. You can just empty a capsule into a small amount of water and stir.

But, with any supplement you need to be careful. These supplements guarantee a minimum number of bacteria, but that does not necessarily mean they are alive.

But, once you have had a successful ferment, Christopher's idea is the best, just seed your new ferment with a bit of brine from a previous one.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Angel on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 pm

Christopher Weeks wrote:I suggested seeding it with a culture from a previous ferment. I think that would theoretically do the same thing as whey -- though I think it's more likely to be positive than whey, even if you weren't vegan.

JohnDulleck wrote:One possibility would be a vegan probiotic supplement. You can just empty a capsule into a small amount of water and stir.

But, with any supplement you need to be careful. These supplements guarantee a minimum number of bacteria, but that does not necessarily mean they are alive.

But, once you have had a successful ferment, Christopher's idea is the best, just seed your new ferment with a bit of brine from a previous one.

Yes, what you both of you are saying about using previous sauerkraut, Christopher and John, makes sense- thank you for reminding me about this logical, popular and commonly used method. Apologies for giving you a reason to repeat yourself Christopher- of course I don't need to search for an alternative when we already have the ultimate answer!
Angel

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 am

Oh, no, I think it's always worth looking for new ideas! I only pointed that out again in case it had gotten lost in the shuffle.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Angel on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:52 am

Christopher Weeks wrote:Oh, no, I think it's always worth looking for new ideas! I only pointed that out again in case it had gotten lost in the shuffle.

:)
Angel

Previous

Return to Vegetable Ferments