lysine/arginine ratio in kraut - anybody know?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

lysine/arginine ratio in kraut - anybody know?

Postby lucilee on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Does anybody know the content of lysine and arginine in homemade sauerkraut? I've searched the web for this and can only find stats for those amino acids for commercial kraut. The USDA site has some fermented foods, but no amino acid profile for fermented cabbage.

Here's why I'm asking...There's some evidence that a high lysine/arginine ratio can suppress the herpes virus living in the nervous system. So many people follow a high lysine, low arginine diet to reduce breakouts of herpes (simplex 1 & 2, as well as shingles and maybe epstein barr.)

Yogurt is at the top of the lysine/arginine list, so I eat homemade yogurt everyday. Also, fermentation is how lysine is produced in some industries, so I expect kraut is high in lysine but I can't find ANY data to verify this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
lucilee

Re: lysine/arginine ratio in kraut - anybody know?

Postby JohnDulleck on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:52 pm

I can't point you to any definitive sources, but since both yogurt and veggie ferments such as kraut are lactic acid generating ferments (by lactobacillus and other bacteria) I would imagine that kraut would have a similarly high ratio.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Re: lysine/arginine ratio in kraut - anybody know?

Postby lucilee on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Thanks John, I suspect the same thing but I need to watch my numbers closely so I'm reluctant to add kraut back to my daily diet until I know for sure. And it is looking like there's no solid data on the web, at least not that I can find.

Which is ridiculous to me, since I can get the amino acid profiles for just about any kind of processed food or produce, but not for a traditional fermented vegetable. :(
lucilee

Return to Vegetable Ferments