Garlic turning BLUE in ferment??

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Garlic turning BLUE in ferment??

Postby Nsfermenter on Mon May 22, 2017 5:03 pm

I am trying for the very 1st time a mixed veggie ferment, it's about 1.5 weeks old n ow.
I used a 5% brine, and it contains jalapeno pepper, red hot peppers, sweet red peppers, cauliflower, sweet yellow peppers and carrots.

I also added a few garlic cloves, as I love garlic :)

I was shocked today to notice that the few pieces of garlic seem to be turning BLUE!

Is there a logical reason for this??

I haven't opened the mason jar yet because I don't want mold to start growing if I lose all my c02, but when I sniff the airlock, it smells kinda like a fart to me.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with this, or it's just my inexperience shining through.

Interestingly, the silicon rubber lid that I have made out of a bowl cover (which I'm guessing is food safe, as it's sold as a cover for a bowl full of food!) seems to be the same color as the blue spot on the garlic, but this is weird because it's ONLY the garlic turning blue, and it is not in contact at all with the blue silicon lid.

So what's happening here?
Any thoughts?
Is this bad??
See attached pics please :)
blue-garlic-ferment-22may2017-1.jpg
blue-garlic-ferment-22may2017-1.jpg (85.01 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

blue-garlic-ferment-22may2017-2.jpg
blue-garlic-ferment-22may2017-2.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Nsfermenter

Re: Garlic turning BLUE in ferment??

Postby JohnDulleck on Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Here is an article that talks about garlic turning blue when preserving. It is harmless, and I am sure the cause is the same when fermenting.

http://extension.psu.edu/food/preservat ... turns-blue
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 am

Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Nsfermenter on Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Wow, blue garlic is OK huh?
Who knew, LOL

They say you need to keep learning new things in life, well, this is no exception, I'm certainly learning all kinda of new weird and wonderful stuff!
Thanks for the replies!

Guess I'll open up my first mixed veggie ferment soon and test it out to see what it turned into :)
Nsfermenter

Return to Vegetable Ferments