Is this ferment safe?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Is this ferment safe?

Postby Annoyeddragon on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:57 pm

I've only recently started experimenting with lacto-fermentation, having enjoyed a batch of sauerkraut I made. I was eager to try salt brine fermentation and, it being the end of summer, I found myself with a glut of runner beans. Obvious next experiment as far as I was concerned.

Now I'm not so sure... Having read that runner beans are a food poisoning risk when not cooked. Have I basically wasted these and they're not safe to eat? Or am I just going to have to cook them and give up any probiotic benefits?

https://imgur.com/a/5NaYL

Any advice is appreciated, I wouldn't want to risk a case of food poisoning. I must admit I've had a little nibble prior and my stomach felt a little off, but quickly recovered and assumed it was from it being fermented.
Annoyeddragon

Re: Is this ferment safe?

Postby khoomeizhi on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:31 am

Raw runner beans do contain some of a toxin that is only broken down by cooking. Some people are less affected by it. To be the most safe, they should probably be cooked.

In my mind, 'food poisoning' refers more to food-borne pathogens, which shouldn't be an issue for you, but I suppose toxins are poison too!
khoomeizhi

Postby Annoyeddragon on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:51 pm

I figured that would be the case, but it was worth checking to see if it was salvageable. Cooked pickled runner beans should be interesting :lol:
Annoyeddragon

Postby gardener on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Hey, I cook more of my fermented beans than I eat raw. I usually soak them in fresh water to encourage some of the salt to leave, then I add them to dishes that could use some salt anyway. Most commonly, I cut them into beef stew.

For me, fermenting the beans is a way of storing them. If I eat some raw, that's good, too.
gardener

Return to Vegetable Ferments