Couple of pickle-making questions

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Couple of pickle-making questions

Postby atodedeus on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:48 am

Hi there,

I attempted some sour pickles a little while ago using the recipe found on this website. Overall it was a mostly successful experiment, although I think I left the pickles brining a bit too long out of the fridge because they became very soft and tasted a bit off. Before my next experiment, I thought I would ask a couple of questions I had:

1. I have a plastic bucket I was using for the fermenting which came with a lid. The lid will completely seal the contents if it's completely on. Is it recommended to keep the lid on or off during fermenting?

2. How long do people typically leave pickles fermenting before jarring them and refrigerating?

Thanks for the advice!
atodedeus

Re: Couple of pickle-making questions

Postby sevenflowers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 am

It sounds like you are wanting to make pickles for storage. When I make pickles for storage I put the pickles into mason jars and seal them with a lid. I let them sit out at room temp for 3 days and then put them in the fridge. Keeping them crispy can be an issue but doesn't have to be. Usually they come out wonerful, but last year I think I added too much dill ( got a little crazy) and they were not as crispy as they usually are. This year I have added grape leaves to the bottom of the jar for added crispness and less dill. It is always an experiment in progress. Be sure to add garlic cloves as well. I hope this helps.
sevenflowers

Postby atodedeus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Well, whether they are for storage or immediate consumption is a bit of a matter for debate...if only because I'll eat them relatively quickly if they are good :).

Your technique sounds interesting to me, because I only noticed a significant pickle flavor after about a week of fermentation. Do you try your first batch after three days? When you do it this way, does mold form on top of the brine in the mason jars?
atodedeus

Postby sevenflowers on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:13 am

When I use mason jars and put them in the fridge after 3 days...I rarely get mold on top. But there shouldn't be at all, but sometimes things just don't work out. This seems to be the best way for long term storage..as when using the crocks, it will only last for a while. As far as taste goes...I sample the crocks after about a week. When I put them in mason jars I dont sample; I just let them sit out for 3 days...put them in the fridge, and then I usually dont start eating them for a while, since these are for during the winter. When you make pickles in mason jars and use whey...this is medicinal because of the lacto fermentation. And therefore if any of my family gets a germ in the Winter, I pull out a jar of pickles. ( among other things) *smiles*
sevenflowers

Postby coblerd on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:34 pm

seven, can you elaborate on how you use whey in the process? I just start my first batch of pickles. The plan is to let them sit in the basement for a week or two, then move them to the fridge for consumption for the month or so after that. Also, where to you get fresh grape leaves from. I went without on this batch as I didn't know where to get any. I am in michigan, if that helps with the question.
coblerd

Postby sevenflowers on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 am

In using whey, after putting all ingredients into jar for longterm storage, I make the brine out of sea salt,whey and water. I get the whey from making kefir and then letting the whey drip out to get cheese. Or you can use raw milk and let it just sit on your counter for a few days till it separates...and then you will have whey. I put a quarter of a cup of whey per jar of pickles. This addes the lactobacilli which is said to be very good for the body. As far as the grape leaves goes, I have a grape arbor. I hope this helps.
sevenflowers

Return to Vegetable Ferments