Green Beans

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Green Beans

Postby baerdric on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Today's project is green beans. I'm going to start them with a little of my fermented salsa to also add spice. I think I have enough beans for two quarts.

I'm actually running out of room, so I have to slow down a little after this. I live in a small apartment by myself, but it's still a lot of jars at this point.

But I just now realized that I have a small unused closet which also houses my little electric water heater. I just put my indoor/outdoor remote thermometer in there - maybe it will keep things warmer as my apartment is usually fairly cool (74).

So yeah, green beans, starting now.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Green Beans

Postby gardener on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Very glad to hear it. I've been accumulating more gallon jars to ferment green beans this summer. We normally can several dozen pints and quarts, but I like the results of fermenting beans for preservation and have enough ways to use the beans beyond snacking, that we're are going to go the low-energy way this year.
gardener

Re: Green Beans

Postby baerdric on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 pm

Mine turned out good, but I think I will let them go longer next time. I did 5 days, and they probably would have been better at 10 days.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Return to Vegetable Ferments