Tomato sauce

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tomato sauce

Postby baerdric on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:36 pm

So my accident or mistake from last month actually turned out pretty good. I had over-chopped some tomatoes in my processor and got puree instead of salsa.

So this time I made three jars of really finely pureed tomatoes, with peppers, onions, and garlic. The onions were previously fermented so they should help as a starter.

I'm hoping to get a type of ketchup or spaghetti sauce. I wish it were easier to share an image here. But it just looks like pinkish goo right now anyway.
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: Tomato sauce

Postby baerdric on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm

I just reduced three quarts of fermented tomato puree into about a half a pint of tomato sauce very near the consistency of ketchup. I used onions and peppers from previous ferments to spice it and they came out with a very good flavor.

I am calling this a success so far, as long as it stays good in the fridge.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am

Keeping things from getting weird in the fridge has been my problem with liquefied ferments. My pepper paste develops yeast blooms that I feel the need to discard, but it's only on top. And the pepper sauce I made years ago got a layer of fuzzy mold. I'm sure that shaking/stirring every couple of days would eliminate that worry, but I sort of want them to be self-sufficient by the time I'm just putting it in the fridge.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby baerdric on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 pm

I'll keep my eyes open for that. Thanks!

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Return to Vegetable Ferments