New round of ferments

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New round of ferments

Postby baerdric on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Tomorrow I'm going to make a whole stack of ferments, mostly kraut and peppers. I think I've been doing well enough that I can risk making several quarts at one time, something I was hesitant to do before.

We'll see how it goes...
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Re: New round of ferments

Postby gardener on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Well, it is all in vats, buckets, jars, tureens, barrels, pots, or whatever by now, right? :) What have you got to tell us?

I doubt if I'll have many more things to ferment this year, unless I make wine from the wild plums that ripen a pound or two every few days.

This was the summer of making cucumber pickles, as I grew a very productive variety. I had to get a new strong shelf to house the pickles in my basement. The half sours are delicious times ten! I have yet to taste the full sours.

Oh wait, I might need to ferment some garlic. I dug 4.5 pounds this year and the pickle recipes barely made a dent on it.

My next door neighbor has suggested a fermented pineapple dish from his home country. I'll want to get more info from him before I proceed.

After it turns cold, I'll do some store bought red radishes so that I will have them for the Christmas table. I'll wait for the cold because winter is when I first did radishes, and it worked so well that I just want to repeat what worked.
gardener

Return to Vegetable Ferments