Garlic vs. morning breath

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Garlic vs. morning breath

Postby Dostoevsky on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm

About a year ago, I fermented 3 lbs of garlic cloves.* I still have some left over and try to eat 3 cloves per day.

*I had posted about that adventure here: https://www.wildfermentationforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21028

Cutting to the chase, I had an accidental (but pleasant) discovery. A couple of weekends ago, I was supposed to meet some friends at the movies at 10:45pm. I had just eaten my 3 cloves for the day and washed it down with some kefir, but I was feeling kinda drowsy for some reason. It was only 9pm, so I decided to take a quick 10-20 minute nap. However, I must have been more tired than I thought because that quick nap turned into a full 8 hours lol!

I was headed to the sink to brush my teeth, and that's when I realized that my mouth felt so fresh...unusually fresh (which was surprising because I didn't even brush my teeth before my "nap").

I know it's not a pleasant subject, but we've all experienced morning breath along with that pasty feeling/bad taste in the mouth. Yet that didn't happen this time. I didn't think much of it, but then I remembered that I had eaten fermented garlic right before going to sleep. Coincidence?

As an (unscientific) experiment, I've been eating my 3 daily cloves right before going to bed and AFTER brushing my teeth for the past week and a half. The result has been the same each time—a fresh mouth in the morning. No hint of a garlic taste either.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's possible that something else I'm doing/eating might be responsible, but I do know that garlic is very powerful against bad bacteria, which are abundant in human mouths. Wouldn't it be ironic to use garlic as a breath freshener? (haha)

I believe that it is, in fact, the fermented garlic, but what do you all think?
Last edited by Dostoevsky on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dostoevsky

Re: Garlic vs. morning breath

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 pm

I have no opinion, but it's fascinating to consider.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Vegetable Ferments