Differences between Vegetables, Sauce, Paste

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Differences between Vegetables, Sauce, Paste

Postby TomChimeraLove on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello everybody, I’m new here and sorry for my english,

I’ve been making vegetables, whole or cut ferments, and enjoy it.
I wanted to start making some fermented liquid sauces or more thick pastes,
and wonder about differences to take into account.

Sandor talks about the main rule of fermenting vegetables being submerged under water.
But if the ingredients are blended together like a smoothie, the content is mixed with the water so the surface will meet the air.
Is the solution to this is to mix daily, to replace to surface layer, Like making a Miso?

Another one :)
how does adding oil effects fermentation? for example if I make an oily paste
If something is submerged under oil, can fermentation still happen or is it a different process?
In this video Sandor says they cover in oil and then let it ferment, I would love to learn more about this please, Time: 8:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4elw9r ... u.be&t=498

I know that it’s also possible to ferment the ingredient and to blend it before serving but hope I can do it already blended so it will be ready to eat quickly :)

Also, I am making fermented olives, and when we want Tapenade we make it from these olives, but thought about experimenting with fermenting the Tapenade from the beginning, after the harvest.

Thank you !
TomChimeraLove

Re: Differences between Vegetables, Sauce, Paste

Postby Tibor on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:49 pm

In my opinion,it would be best to ferment it sliced,diced,or in chunks and then blend to whatever consistency you want. You could add back brine to thin it down if you want.You could store it that way in a jar for a very long time .
Tibor

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am

Same. I ferment in big chunks and blend/mash after.

And I know almost nothing about oil in fermentation. The only thing I've done is Mrs. Ding's chile paste from that exact video and it's just about time for me to open it, so I'm no use. I know that people do layer oil atop some ferments, but I've also read that it can introduce pathogens by providing a place up top for them to thrive and then they get mixed into your produce. So I dunno, I guess I'm wary.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby TomChimeraLove on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 pm

Alright, Thanks for answering!
OK, so it seems I will continue to do it this way, and if you will find more information about the pastes and oil techniques I would love to know!
Thank you
TomChimeraLove

Return to Vegetable Ferments