Are these OK

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Are these OK

Postby Deena on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 am

3DCC50FA-ED58-41FF-A8A6-49984298639D.jpeg
3DCC50FA-ED58-41FF-A8A6-49984298639D.jpeg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
I’ve only made a couple of quart size jars of veggie ferments so far but they are really nice ,despite me being a bit concerned about a thin white film on the top of the second jar ..I removed it and tried the veg it’s nice and slightly crunchy even tho I made them about 2-3 months ago
In preparation for getting really brave and making a another lot I was looking for weights to keep the veggies under the brine when I first make them ,I like the look of the glass weights you can get but sooo expensive and I couldn’t find anyone in Australia who sells them so I’d be up for in excess of $40 in postage to get them from over seas
so I settled for these like I said I haven’t even tried them yet so I guess the proof will be when I try them they are fairly flexible and for mason wide mouth jars
Deena

Re: Are these OK

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 am

I avoid putting plastic in my food, so I wouldn't go with that. If glass weights aren't available, I mostly just use small glass jars in the mouth of my large glass jar -- works great.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Deena on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Christopher Weeks wrote:I avoid putting plastic in my food, so I wouldn't go with that. If glass weights aren't available, I mostly just use small glass jars in the mouth of my large glass jar -- works great.

I try to ovoid plastic as well Christopher It crossed my mind to try using the really tiny ball mason jars as weights maybe I can just fill them with water to give them a little extra weight ?
Deena

Postby irie1029 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:32 am

Hey there Deena. Normally I do not need weights but when I do I have found these to be helpful. Also, Holly made me a custom split weight for my antique (out of round) crock.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyResourceful
irie1029

Postby Durgan on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 am

29 July 2018 Fermentation Weight
Posted on July 29, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/July%202018/29%2 ... ight/HTML/ 29 July 2018 Fermentation Weight
When doing fermentation, e.g.sauerkraut, in a mason jar, it is essential that the jar ingredients be always immersed in the liquid. The internet has various devices to achieve this, some almost silly. My method is dead simple and effective.
A readily available plastic cup is pushed into the mason jar and then cut level with the jar top. The red color of the cup does not leach out. A hole is made in the bottom of the cup to allow the liquid to seek its own level. The lid is placed on the jar. Air can escape and the ingredients remain under the liquid. Pictures depict the method.
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am

That cut cup method is super clever! I hope the outside of the cup is food-safe. And that the combination of: low pH, rough-cut surfaces, and extended duration of contact don't substantially increase the styrene leaching from the cup.

I did some quick searching and couldn't find anything either way. But it's possible that no one has anticipated that use and tested it.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Durgan on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:26 pm

I saw no evidence of color leaching. It appears to be benign. I use the cups extensively in the kitchen. I also tried various other methods and all were wanting. At first look this cup method appears to be ideal.
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Deena on Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:16 pm

Thanks Durgan
I have the lids for mason jars that are only the rim bit as I have silicon burping inserts and the rim lid keeps the inserts in place
I just looked on amazon the glass inserts to hold veg under brine vary from $25 ..$45 Australian $$$ but postage is $20 as they are supplied from overseas to Aust
The plastic things I posted a photo of are suppose to non toxic they were fairly cheap
Deena

Return to Vegetable Ferments