Watermelon rinds

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Watermelon rinds

Postby curtijam on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:34 am

I've recently moved to Lilongwe, Malawi. Watermelons are readily available here and make a refreshing food for the Malawian summer heat! I was intrigued to read about the possibility of fermenting the rinds, and after a bit of research on here and wider google decided to give it a go!

I used a 5% salt solution with Himalayan Pink Salt, a 1.4l fermentation vessel, some pink peppercorns, a couple of heads of fresh dill that we have growing, and a handful of unpeeled garlic cloves cut in half lengthways. I took a quartered watermelon (manageable size), cut into slices, removed the pink fruit and used the sliced rinds.

Left for 6 days, which is probably a long time in this heat (kitchen is regularly above 30 degrees centigrade at the moment) although this is one of my first brining attempts so I don't have much to compare.

Tasted today, and unfortunately pretty underwhelmed with the outcome. Some tasting notes:
  • Far too salty for my tastes. Not sure if this developed with time, I should have tasted daily to observe flavour changes. Unclear if a lower % salt solution will still facilitate the fermentation - any tips?
  • Far too garlic-y for my tastes. A little bit of garlic goes a long way! I'd maybe use 1 or 2 cloves max next time.
  • I fermented the whole rind (sliced) but the the outermost green skin is tough and unpleasant to eat. Next time I'd either peel this off before fermenting, or eat the inner rind and discard this outer peel.
Attachments
Watermelon Ferment.jpg
Watermelon Ferment.jpg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
curtijam

Re: Watermelon rinds

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 am

Are you looking to make a snacking pickle, a condiment, or what?

I've always meant to try this also, but I don't usually have watermelon around. My default brine is ~3.5%, you might want to try that.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby curtijam on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 am

I was hoping to make a snacking pickle - this would be called a “Gherkin” in the UK made from pickled baby cucumbers. I believe that’s the same as a “kosher pickle”?

Watermelons are cheap and plentiful here so I’ll give 3.5% a go next time and report back in a week!
curtijam

Postby curtijam on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:24 am

Update: tried again, this time with a ~2-3% brine. I peeled the tough green outer skin from the watermelon quarter, before slicing. I left out the garlic completely, seasoning with a few fresh dill heads and some lightly crushed peppercorns.

Tasted 3 days in, absolutely delicious and definitely tastes like gherkins! The outer layer is still fairly tough, so perhaps I should peel a bit deeper next time. The inside edge is fairly soft, and I've read elsewhere that adding calcium carbonate can keep them crunchy.

I suspect that, with watermelons being so "water-y", the rinds are particularly good at absorbing flavour hence why its better to use lower salt and go easy on strong flavourings such as garlic. However this might also be influenced by the warm environment I'm fermenting in (~30degC)
curtijam

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks for the update!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby kasta on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 am

I only recently discovered that you can pickle watermelon rinds and can't wait to try it. I wonder if it would work with other melon rinds, like for example nautilo melon
kasta

Postby Durgan on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 am

I pressure can for long term storage. Nice drink.

30 August 2018 Watermelon Juice
Posted on August 30, 2018 by Durgan
30 August 2018 Watermelon Juice
http://durgan.org/2018/August%202018/30 ... uice/HTML/ 30 August 2018 Watermelon Juice
Two Sugar Baby watermelon weighing 5 and 4 kg were taken from the garden and made into juice. The complete watermelon was used rind and all. The material was mad into a slurry and strained, then pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. A total of 7 liters of juice was obtained. The juice is sweet and pleasant to drink. Pictures depict the process.
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby kasta on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:12 am

yum, looks great. I think I might use the insides of watermelon for second fermentation of kombucha
kasta

Return to Vegetable Ferments