how many days required ?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

how many days required ?

Postby Suzy on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 am

How many days are required for a good fermentation ? I've had cabbage, carrots and collards for a day and a half and they taste the same (not sour). Suzy
Suzy

Re: how many days required ?

Postby sevenflowers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 am

If you are fermenting in a jar....3 days and then you transfer to fridge. When fermenting in a crock, I wait at least 2 days and sometimes almost a week. It just depends on what you are fermenting. Cucumbers can take up to a week. It is not a quick method but a good one. Just be patient and keep checking back in your crock by sampling a goody now and then. The longer you leave them to ferment(within reason) the better they will taste. Don't forget to keep the scum skimmed off the top in the meantime.
sevenflowers

Postby mofuzz on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:56 am

I personally think about 2 weeks is the magic length, to my taste. I find that after about a week you start to get sourness, and then a different population of microbes starts to proliferate and in the 2nd week you get more of a fermenty "fizz", for lack of a better term. Yum!
mofuzz

Postby Tim Hall on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:07 pm

It will likely take several days, maybe a few weeks. Fermenting conditions can be highly variable, and it's hard to give a single answer to this question. Fermentation time depends on a couple of (main) factors - temperature and salt content.

A day and a half is not likely to produce a finished vegetable pickle unless you ferment it at a very high temperature (above body temperature) with very low salt content, and you inoculate it with something already fermented. Exactly how long it takes is between you and the bacteria. Take a taste every so often and see what they say.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Vegetable Ferments