White fuzzy coating ok?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

White fuzzy coating ok?

Postby Choufleur on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:17 am

Sometimes if I don't have time to make my own Kraut, I buy the store bought, unpasteurized kind. I usually strreeetch it out by adding a few of my own veggies, garden produce, etc. then, I quite often put it in a blender and then put it in a couple containers in the fridge.

Normally, the fermentation process continues slowly in the fridge ( if I don't consume it all Immediately :D ).

I just opened a small container of this kraut plus added veggies,(I had added a lot of home grown radishes to my store bought kraut.) And had not consumed the lot.

There was a white fuzzy coating on the top. I have never seen this.
Would this be ok?

Thank you
And bubbles to you

Choufleur
Choufleur

Re: White fuzzy coating ok?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:30 am

There are two basic schools of thought, and while they are both stated with absolute assurance by their proponents, I've never seen either of them backed up with what I would call real evidence. So, you'll have to decide for yourself between:

1) It's fine, scoop the moldy bit off, as long as it isn't colored. Kraut, etc has been eaten this way since antiquity and never hurt anyone.

2) Throw it all away immediately. By the time you can actually see even the most benign speck of mold, everything within ten feet has been badly contaminated and even tasting it will cause sever neurological damage.

(I personally land more in the first camp, but I don't really know that I'm not accumulating toxins that are going to kill me early. And I think there's enough legitimacy to the second claim that I'd hesitate to recommend anyone be as cavalier as I choose to be.)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Choufleur on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:18 pm

THANK YOU so much, Christopher!

I must be getting old or having a season of 'bacteria phobia'..brought on a newly developed 'virus phobia.' With other related current phobias going around.

In past years I would NEVER waste valuable kraut by tossing a whole batch( it was actually a small jar) just because of a little white mold on top.

But this time I did. Alas. You brought me back to the good old common sense thought that people have been eating kraut in many different conditions in many different circumstances, for many hundreds of years, and I don't remember ever having read of anyone who died of kraut poisoning.

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for your reply.
Nice to make your acquaintance.

This is the best wild ferment forum on the net these days..at least that is what my research found..( looking, looking, looking) there used to be some awesome smaller ferment forums about ten years ago. I was a member of them. Participants used to sell starter cultures by mail and things. I used to go WILD ( pun intended) alas. I think those have disbanded.

Thank you so much
For keeping this one going
Sincerely
Choufleur
Choufleur

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:05 am

Yeah, I feel safe stating you're not going to die of kraut poisoning. However, the risk is that mycotoxins have non-healing degenerative effects. I'm *not* sure that we won't develop tremors or dementia a decade early because of this. I really do think it's a gamble, just one that I'm willing to make.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby irie1029 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:25 am

I just fermented dilly beans and egg plant in 4 different quart ball jars. During 2 weeks of ferment I removed Kahm yeast a couple times. The past week I let it go wild as the brine was acidic. A very thick Kahms yeast developed on two with the top of the floating yeast had mold colonies. I skimmed off and took out weights. Ate both green beans and egg plant which had the mold with no ill effects.

IMO as long as there is separation between mold and what you eat you are fine. Much like fruit, cheese or bread cut off the mold and enjoy.
irie1029

Postby Choufleur on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 pm

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Thank you for two very interesting responses.

Thank you for your time both of you.

Never heard the speculation about
Toxins...

There us just so much good in fermented foods.

So many other factors contributing to cognitive decline.

What? Me worry?? :lol:

Bubbles to you!
Choufleur
Choufleur

Return to Vegetable Ferments