Curtido (LatAm pickle/"chutney")

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Curtido (LatAm pickle/"chutney")

Postby pinkraut on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:33 pm

I noticed a Mexican curtido posted here. It's always interesting to me to ponder the slight or great differences among Latin American food traditions, so I thought I'd add my own Honduran family's encurtido.

My dad always prepared his "encurtido" as a quick pickle, never using brine but water and vinegar. I adapted that recipe to be brine-based:
  • 5 carrots
  • 2 onions
  • 1-2 fresh jalapenos
  • (optional) 1/2 a cabbage
  • salt, about 2 tablespoons
  • pepper and cumin - about 2 tablespoons total

Chop the vegetables either coarsely (spoon sized) or finely, to your taste. Add water to cover. When I use cabbage, I tend to wait until the next day to add water since cabbage produces its own brine and I've had it overflow on me.

My dad used to make it quite chunky and we use it as a taco or pupusa garnish. I noticed that the Mexican recipe linked above includes oregano, and I saw that added to other recipes online; I guess Honduran cuisine prefers the taste of cumin.

Does anyone else have a family curtido/encurtido recipe?
pinkraut

Re: Curtido (LatAm pickle/"chutney")

Postby irie1029 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Sounds great! I will try this summer!
irie1029

Re: Curtido (LatAm pickle/"chutney")

Postby Ozark Alchemist on Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:53 pm

I absolutly love curtido. In fact I just got through eating a bunch on a breakfast burrito (I know, so gringo). I was introduced to the stuff through salvadoran food and learned to make it myself. I find it fascinating that the cabbage is optional in this one. When I think curtido, I think cabbage. My recipe uses oregano instead of cumin like you mentioned. I never thought of using cumin in curtido but I do like cumin. I'll have to add some to my next batch.

How long do you let it ferment? Do you prefer it quick and sweet or do you let it get good and sour?
Ozark Alchemist

Return to Vegetable Ferments