Quick kraut

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Quick kraut

Postby Choufleur on Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Was feeling lazy, so I went to the supermarket and picked up some pre shredded cabbage (cole slaw called).

Went straight to kitchen and put the contents into two jars I had handy, and covered it with correctly salted water brine.

It I has been sitting in my countertop for a few days and it does not appear to be doing anything.

Will this little experiment eventually work.?

I was thinking to myself that the store might have processed the cabbage in some way, perhaps added vitamin C or perhaps (eek) something else.

Coming to you pros here to see what you folks think!

Thank you for your reading and hopefully responding.
Chou
Choufleur

Re: Quick kraut

Postby BeckyD on Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:42 am

I have only use the freshest plumpest looking veg I can buy. Most precut bagged veg has a 2 to 3 week shelf life and has been radiated so it looks fresh, typically it is dead produce. Not knowing exactly what you bought it really is hard to say.
BeckyD

Re: Quick kraut

Postby Choufleur on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:54 am

Thank you Becky D.

Hmm. The bag has a good date on it. I think it was only a few days old. But I never dreamed it would be radiated. Wouldn't radiation make it all wilted? I am pretty sure these places (large supermarkets) use vitamin C to keep the product from turning brown. It was from a very high quality supermarket which I trust. They deal with their own produce and organic produce.

I will keep everyone posted.

I don't want the kraut to go to waste, if it ferments nicely.

If anyone else has any ideas, I welcome further input.

I guess with so many years of making my own kraut, I wondered if anyone had wanted to take a bit of a short cut, and used 'already shredded' cabbage and carrots.

Cheerio
Chou
Choufleur

Return to Vegetable Ferments