Anybody successfully made buckwheat sourdough bread?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Anybody successfully made buckwheat sourdough bread?

Postby ormus on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:13 am

I can deal with the following grains only:

buckwheat
quinoa
white rice

Therefore, wondering whether anyone had managed to make a good bread out of these?

So far I know that buckwheat pancakes, made from unroasted buckwheat groats, soaked then blended, with a bit of baking soda, are very good.
ormus

Re: Anybody successfully made buckwheat sourdough bread?

Postby parkranger on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:03 pm

I don't use buckwheat (or quinoa or white rice), but I recently started making gluten-free sourdough bread. My starter is primarily fed with brown rice flour, although occasionally I mix it up with sorghum and millet. It took about two weeks before the starter was getting really active and almost doubling in size. (I keep it in a glass jar and put a rubber band around it, moving it to the level of the starter after I've fed it. This way I can accurately judge the activity.) I think this was partly due to mistakes I made early on, e.g. giving it small feedings of flour every 6-8 hours, instead of larger feedings. I also started removing large amounts and using that for pancakes, pizza/flat breads, scones, and rustic plum tortes. This way the proportion of starter to new flour was much smaller, and they were all delicious experiments.

The bread recipe I used as a base was this: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/20 ... uten-free/

For the flours, I used 5 oz. sorghum, 4 oz. brown rice, 4 oz. millet and 2 oz. potato starch. I also substituted honey for the sugar, and had to use quite a bit more water to get the dough to the consistency pictured. It turned out pretty excellent, and even my gluten-tolerant housemate enjoyed it. He's been inspired to start making his own rye sourdough, and took a pinch of my starter. I'm going to keep experimenting with this, and see how different flours effect it. Try it out with the flours you can do! I know buckwheat is used a lot in eastern europe.
parkranger

Re: Anybody successfully made buckwheat sourdough bread?

Postby Emma Klondyke on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:56 am

I have started a sourdough using sprouted buckwheat grains. Dehulled grains sprout just fine, provided they aren't roasted (Russian-style wholegrain buckwheat is sold roasted, at least where I live).

First wash/rinse the grains, twice in cold and once in warm water. Soak 20-30 mins, then strain. I leave mine in a strainer, covered with a cloth, and it sprouts overnight.

Put the sprouts and a little water in a blender, mix into a slurry. Salt. This is your starter :)! I have only made a soft flat bread ( rieska in Finnish) by mixing soaked roasted buckwheat into the sourdough and letting it sit for 8-12 hours, but I think you'll do fine if you want to use rice or buckwheat flour to make a thicker dough.

I have not kept a starter of a previous batch, as the sprouted grains sour beautifully every time. The taste of the bread much resembles the traditional sour rye bread I grew up with.
Emma Klondyke

Return to Grain Ferments