Fermenting Ogi (African Millet Porridge)

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting Ogi (African Millet Porridge)

Postby kevin00 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 am

I have a question about the Ogi recipe that I have been enjoying for the past few days...

After soaking for 24+ hours, I have been rinsing the millet prior to cooking it. I did this because I think the soaking proccess removes the phytic acid (and other substances) and by rinsing it, I'd be getting rid of that.
Has anyone else had any experience with not rinsing the grain prior to cooking? The water it's in looks quite murkey... :S

Secondly - isn't the idea of fermenting this grain contradictory if we're going to cook it right afterwards? All the beneficial bacteria would die once being introduced into boiling water. Aside from removing phytic acid, is there any purpose to the fermentation proccess?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Kevin
kevin00

Re: Fermenting Ogi (African Millet Porridge)

Postby Lycoperdon on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 am

I'm not sure what fermentation does for the specific millet porridge, but some of the befits of fermentation I can think of off hand are:
-ethanol alcohol
-breaking down indigestible starches and sugar into digestible bits (in the food)
-digestion aid and immuno-defense (inside the body)
-preservation of food
-more delicious food
-a host of other things (good and bad) are made from certain types of fermentation (penicillin and I've heard that some fermented foods are more nutritious.)

There might be more but this all I can come up with right now.

Thanks
LL!
-Lord Lycoperdon
http://www.sfwiggle.com/
Lycoperdon

Postby asharpknife on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I would agree, I think the good bacterial benefits of fermentation are going to be killed by the cooking process, but the fermentation in this recipe is mainly for flavour, and for fun. Same as with dosa batter. If you like the taste, it's probably worth it. I'm interested in Ogi, will try it some day. How does it taste? Do you add any other ingredients when cooking?
Google group for fermentation fetishists.
http://groups.google.com/group/fermfriends/

Blog by me.
http://fermfriends.wordpress.com/
asharpknife

Postby RakelSpektakel on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:18 am

hi guys! im doing alot of ogi and wanted to share my expreience and ask for feedback or anything. ..
.. i have not ground the millet, and i think ive had great results anyway. why ground it? anyone know?

-i soak the millet for 2 days in a sealed jar in roomtemp,
then i poor out the water in another jar and put it in the frige.
-i cook the miller, let it cool to roomtemp and then add a third of the saved fermentation water. let it ferment over night..im not so exact..plus half a day maybe..

..in the morning it crazy fermenting, bubbling and has a strong smell of hunny! so sweet, all the sugar comming out i guess.

-then cook again and and cool and add half of the remaining water and let ferment overnight again.

..in the morning its not as crazy fermy but seperating a bit and smells less sweet and more sour. now! i want to add that ive eaten some at this stage several times and every time i get a sore throwt, something harsh in the millet is released, i dont know what, anyone?

-add the last bit of water and ferm. over night. 3rd and last. cook next day and eat! its pretty sour and delicious. i keep it on the stove and have it daily. it doesnt go bad.

..soooo good and doesnt hurt my throwt, the harsh something has been broken down.
i usually spice with thime, salt and good sized chunk of organic (raw is best!) butter. its simple and so satisfying.

I used to put some apple cider vinegar in (but its alrady sour so no need really) but i dont anymore because ive been getting into food combination and acidic foods keep grain from being digested, or so ive learned through reading. INVESTIGATE! :) anyway, having fun.

OH! and i wanted to add ive heard that this is what some africans have done for a long time and its what they feed babies that could not get their mothers breast milk, and also feeding it to the mothers breastfeeding ther babies. so its supposedly the purest finest food.. ;)
Bless!
RakelSpektakel

Return to Grain Ferments