Sourdough TOO active - kills itself?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sourdough TOO active - kills itself?

Postby maggiebk on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:28 am

I recently moved to San Francisco and have now tried a second time to make a sourdough (from instructions in Wild Fermentation).

Day 1: no activity.
Day 2 (!): lively, bubbly, frothy, clearly active, and nicely sour.
Day 3: No activity, *extremely* sour.
Day 4+: see Day 3.

I get the feeling it's so active that it ups the acid level rapidly and essentially kills itself. Is this a reasonable hypothesis? The first time, I tried to resuscitate it by using a small amount of it to seed a whole new flour-water slurry, but strangely it didn't take. This time I'm reluctant to tread the same ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I miss my sourdough baking and after all am living in THE hot-bed of yummy sourdough yeasts!
maggiebk

Re: Sourdough TOO active - kills itself?

Postby Lycoperdon on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I've never tried to make sourdough, but I've had a similar thing happen when I make beer and the temp is too high.
-Lord Lycoperdon
http://www.sfwiggle.com/
Lycoperdon

Postby Tim Hall on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Your sourdough is probably not completely "dead." As the acid levels go up and sugars go down the activity can slow rapidly.

Try feeding it a little, or use a spoonful to inoculate another batch of starter. I suspect it will pick back up again.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Wannabe Thoreau on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:03 am

Have you tried actually baking bread with it?

I've been baking sourdough for years and in my experience you really can't tell until the loaf is out of the oven. I've had some really sketchy dead looking starter with a half inch of grog on top turn out some beautiful loaves. I've had starter that looked perfect in every way fail to rise and turn out hockey pucks.

I understand that the French bakers prefer using an "old" starter. The higher acidity helps develop a more complex flavor.
Wannabe Thoreau

Return to Grain Ferments