Are Carbohydrates Broken Down By Sprouting?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Are Carbohydrates Broken Down By Sprouting?

Postby jpt120 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi all,

I know that when sprouting grains and legumes, carbohydrates are reduced a bit. But I am curious about the remaining carbs: does sprouting grains or legumes break down carbohydrates into simpler forms that are easier to digest, or are the remaining carbohydrates "in tact" and therefore not easier to digest?

If the carbs are easier to digest from sprouting, it seems that introducing sprouted grains/ legumes into a Paleo diet is completely safe. I know that lectins (plant toxins found in nuts/grains/nightshades and cause many digestive issues) are broken down in the sprouting process, so I think that only leaves the carbohydrate issue that can violate a Paleo diet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!!!
jpt120

Re: Are Carbohydrates Broken Down By Sprouting?

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I don't know exactly which carbohydrates or what percentage are broken down from sprouting, but yes it does break down at least some carbs. This is going to be entirely dependent upon the type of pulse or grain being sprouted, the types of carbs they have, and the types of enzymes that are being unlocked to cleave whatever complex carbs. Sprouting temperature probably also plays a significant role as different diastatic (carbohydrate) enzymes operate best within particular temperature ranges.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Grain Ferments