probiotics for fermentation of grains/nuts?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

probiotics for fermentation of grains/nuts?

Postby msskylight on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 am

Should probiotic powder or something else be added to srpouted grains or nuts? Also should the grains/nuts be blended/ground rather than natural whole state when fermenting?
msskylight

Re: probiotics for fermentation of grains/nuts?

Postby Tim Hall on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Using a probiotic powder is one possible way of inoculating a ferment. But you could just as easily, and for less money, rely on wild fermentation.

I'm not exactly sure what you're aiming at doing here but here's a couple of things to consider: Grains are usually fermented with an end product in mind, i.e. bread, flatbread, beer, etc. In all these cases the grain is modified in some way by grinding, cracking or steeping (mashing) the grains.

But again the grain's structure is modified with a certain end product in mind. You don't necessarily have to do this I suppose.

I would not advise trying to ferment nuts on their own. Most nuts are very high in fats which tend to turn rancid under fermentation conditions. It would probably be better to incorporate nuts into something already fermented, such as a bread studded with walnuts or sunflower seeds, or something like this.

Are you aiming for all raw? That's kinda what I'm sensing here, but not sure.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Grain Ferments