Salt Rising Bread

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Salt Rising Bread

Postby ChasDun on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 am

Susan,
Thanks for the starter recipe. I'm trying it today - setting the starter jar in my wife's electric skillet filled with about 1" of water and set just below "warm" to hold at about 104°F. I'll report on how this works. Meanwhile, what are your recipes for sponge, dough, and baking?
Thanks,
Charles
ChasDun

Postby ChasDun on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 am

Susan,

I've tried the starter recipe twice and both times have gotten some apparent activity within 24 hours (tight foam on top of liquid and characteristic odor) but have been unable to get this to continue in the sponge. It just sits there. Maybe I'm mistaking some type of chemical action in the starter for C. perfringens activity. I feel that I still have something wrong. Let me ask this: after you scald your milk, how much do you let it cool before adding it to the dry ingredients? None? To about 140°F? To about 105°F?

Also, what are your sponge and dough recipes - and temperatures? Thanks again.
ChasDun

Postby sbrown on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 am

Hi, Charles. I apologize for not replying to you sooner! I just haven't looked at this blog in a while. But, let me try to help you with your questions.

First of all, you must be sure that your starter has fully developed before you make it into a sponge. You want to see many bubbles and layers of foam, and you want it to have the characteristic SRB smell. If it doesn't look like this, then your sponge, obviously, will not be successful.

I'm not sure if an unfailed starter was why your sponge did not work, but it may have been. Although, from what you said, it sounded like your starter was successful. So, if this was not the case,then a couple of other reasons why a sponge might not work are: you didn't add enough flour to it (add just enough to have the consistency of thin pancake batter) or you may not have kept it warm enough (it should be around 104 degrees, the same as your starter). How long did you allow the sponge to work? It should take 1 and a half to 2 hours.

As for your questions:
1. I don 't let the milk cook after I scald it. I just add it right away.
2. The recipes for the sponge and dough vary. If you go to my SRB website (http://home.comcast.net/~petsonk/), you can see the recipes there that I use; recipe #1 and recipe #2.

I hope this helps! I saw on here just now where I can ask to be notified if a reply comes in, so, hopefully, I will be able to answer you much sooner next time. As you might guess, I'm not a blogger, and I need to get better at it.

Good luck!! It's just great that you are attempting to make this wonderful bread. I'm happy to answer more questions for you, any time.

Susan
sbrown

Previous

Return to Grain Ferments