Liquid on top of sourdough starter?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Liquid on top of sourdough starter?

Postby Pathawi on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 am

Hey, all-

I'm attempting my first two sourdough starters, following the instructions in Wild Fermentation: two cups flour, two cups water. One is organic, unbleached bread flour. The other is barley flour that I ground myself with a hand mill.

I live in San Francisco, in a house that is generally pretty cold. I've had success with fermentation projects on the same shelf where I'm keeping the starters, & have had good success. Projects just take a little longer than the estimates in Wild Fermentation. However, I'm so far seeing no action in the wheat flour starter. The barley flour starters has begun to have bubbles in the mix, & you can see little holes on the top where gas has popped thru. It tastes very sour. I think it's thicker than starters are usually supposed to be (it's kind of like a coarse pudding), but it seems to be fermenting well.

The wheat flour had a slightly cheesey smell, followed by a kind of yoghurt-like smell. It now smells quite sour, but after a week, there have thus far been no bubbles.

I stir both starters at least twice daily. Over night, the wheat flour seems to settle, & a dark liquid forms on top of the mixture. I have tried adding additional flour, but I still get that fluid. Any idea what this is? Is it good? Is it something I should try to avoid? Should I pour it off? Add more flour? Smile & mix it back in?
Pathawi

Re: Liquid on top of sourdough starter?

Postby Entheological on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:44 pm

While I have not propagated my own starter, I have cared for one for many years. In my experience, it is completely natural for a dark liquid layer to form on the top. I simply pour it off and replace the lost water content as a way to "keep it fresh" if I am not using it. I don't know if this is necessary or not, but it has been working for me:)

Good Luck!
Entheological

Re: Liquid on top of sourdough starter?

Postby PaleoGardener on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Instead of water, try adding fruit juice. It will lower the pH and make conditions favorable for the yeast. Here in Los Angeles, I was able to get wheat starter going with cups flour, 2 cups orange juice in a bowl. Daily, I poured out half and then added 1 cup flour, 1 cup orange juice. It took about two weeks, and I am now enjoying delicious sourdough (had sourdough pancakes for breakfast this morning!). If you don't have fruit juice, a small amount of apple cider vinegar could work.
PaleoGardener

Return to Grain Ferments