?Ogi (millet) and other porridges?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

?Ogi (millet) and other porridges?

Postby Entheological on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Hello friends. I have begun porridge ferments and am filled with questions and eager to share experiences.

First, Ogi. I tried fermenting millet that had been ground in a coffee grinder, after 5 days and a good cooking, it smells quite awful and doesn't taste much better. Is this a taste to get used to, or did it not turn out? With respect to grain size, my options are fine ground or whole. Will whole millet work okay?

I fermented buckwheat for the first time. Just water for a couple of days. It began to smell in a similar way to kim chi. Not too suprising seeing as how buckwheat is in no way related to grains.

What are you experiences with soaking mediums? I know Sandor talks of using only water. I have tried a variety including only water, a bit of salt, or a dash of kefir, whey or vinegar. They all seem to work, giving slightly varied rates and flavors of souring. I like to let oats soak in a dairy inoculated solution. Whey really gave a strong, quick souring.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences and insights.
Truly,
Entheological
Entheological

Re: ?Ogi (millet) and other porridges?

Postby Julien on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Entheological,

I like your experimentations ! How did you do with buckwheat ? Which other grains would you use in a similar way ?

Thanks

Julien
Julien

Return to Grain Ferments