Nuka doko!

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Nuka doko!

Postby Lisette on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Hello! I wasn't too sure where to post this question, but I figured since nuka is the chaff from white rice it would do to put it in the grain section. :)
For the past month and a half I've been taking care of my own nuka doko. I purchased iri nuka from a local Japanese grocer and received various tips from the owner on how to care for my own nuka. She recommended that I use a slice of white bread to help the yeast going and so I have and my nuka has had a bread-y smell since then. About 8 days ago I noticed the smell had changed slightly and so I added one TB of ground mustard (that's what the back of the bags recommended - I speak a little Japanese) but a few days later and the nuka smell has turned.. I wouldn't say *sour* but -slightly- acidy along with mustardy. The underlying earthy bread-y scent of the nuka remains but it has this new highlight and I can't quite make heads or tails of it. I haven't pickled any vegetables since I noticed the smell last week. Is there anything I can do? Is my nuka bed healthy?
Side note: I keep my nuka in a closet (under my sink is too damp) and in an air-tight tupperware container, although I keep a corner of the lid loose.
Lisette

Re: Nuka doko!

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:33 am

I've kept nuka twice and the most recent one was a failure. I don't have enough experience to advise you and so I didn't post a response when you asked for help. But I am interested in what happened. So, what happened? :)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby tonwooten on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Learned something from this! Thanks!
tonwooten

Postby pduffy on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

What might be the problem is that it's not getting enough air. Unlike a lot of Ferments, Nuka Doko isn't anarobic. The organisms need Oxygen. That's why you stir it every day. You might need to start over. A tea towel should be all that you need to cover...
Cheers,
Pat
pduffy

Return to Grain Ferments