lectins

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

lectins

Postby christiantguthrie1 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:19 pm

i understand that lectins in grains can get through the bowel wall intact and cross the blood brain barrier (ref: underground wellness 'gluten sensitivity testing: the new frontier').

i would like to consume short grain brown rice, but don't know if fermenting gets rid of lectin. also does anyone know what might be the best way to start a brown rice ferment - what culture to use ?

i assume a soaking, cooking, rinsing, mashing followed by some kind of culture starter?

thanks
chris
christiantguthrie1

Re: lectins

Postby jpt120 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:49 pm

Its so hard to find quantifiable data on how sprouting affects the lectin content of rice or anything for that matter, including other enzyme inhibitors. From a ton of research on my part, the only thing I do believe is that lectin content is reduced to some extent from sprouting and typically (but not necessarily always), the longer the sprouting the more lectins are broken done....with a caveat- not everything sprouted reduces lectin and in some cases, lectin content is increased. For example, alfalfa content actually increases the longer it is sprouted. Unfortunately there is no uniform answer.

AS to your second question, the only thing I know about rice is that it is hard to find a rice that is sproutable. I'm sure it can be found through websites that specialize in selling seeds for sprouting. But the rice sold in most stores is too refined for sprouting purps.
jpt120

Postby Aliyanna on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:15 am

If you go to VRP.com.....there is a product called Lectin Lock that helped us alot.

What we found, not by book, just experience..is that soaks of 24 or more hours helped and adding whey also helped about as much as anything.

I am not sure if you have an existing problem...but for us with gut issues and autism...it helped alot. Using both the lectin lock and the soaking helped alot .

There used to be a yahoo group on lectins...I know that it shut down...but am not sure if the files are still accessable. Lectins and autism....it was a yahoo group...you could look to see if it was available....there was a lot of info there....just not many of us using it.
hope this helps
Aliyanna

Postby JenB1 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Lectins are particularly high in wheat and legumes. Check out the below study for very, very good news.

Effect of Natural Fermentation on the Lectin of Lentils Measured by Immunological Methods

Abstract
The effects of natural fermentation upon the lectin in the seeds of Lens culinaris cultivar Magda 20 were investigated. Suspensions of lentil flour were allowed to ferment naturally at different lentil flour concentrations (79, 150 and 221 g l -1 ) and temperatures (28, 35 and 42°C). During fermentation, samples were taken at daily intervals (0, 24, 48, 72, and 96 h) and lentil lectin activity was measured by haemagglutination test. With the progress of fermentation there was a rapid decline in haemagglutination activity in all the batches. The largest decrease occurred between 0 h and 24 h of fermentation in all the conditions. The lectin concentration showed the maximum reduction at 72 and 96 h, under the fermentation conditions of 79 g l- 1 and 42°C, when the initial lectin content measured by ELISA was reduced by 98 and 97.8%, respectively. The changes in lentil lectin were also followed by SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and immunoblotting. The results confirmed those obtained by ELISA and indicated that the lectin almost disappeared after 72 h of natural fermentation under the optimum conditions of flour concentration and temperature.
JenB1

Postby mike63 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't know about rice. Spelt has a lot fewer lectins than wheat. You can buy sprouted spelt flour for $3/lb and then ferment it for 3 days. The gluten in spelt is more soluble than the one in wheat. Each grain requires a different amount of fermentation time to remove the lectins and each grain has different types of lectins in different quantities. Sprouting gets rid of the antinutrients and makes the starches easier to digest, but doesn't get rid of the lectins. The best way to go is to stop eating grains and beans altogether. I eat 4 lbs. organic bananas every day for all my carbs. 1/3 of the calories and 4/5 of the nutrients are in the peel so I eat them too. I get the day old ones for 40c/lb. The black and brown spots are not rot. They turn a gene on. They are involved in anti aging. The starch and fiber is changed into sugar.
mike63

Return to Grain Ferments