A question about my Sourdough starter...

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

A question about my Sourdough starter...

Postby flanksteak on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:34 pm

I am new to sourdough making and made my first starter late last week. It is a rye starter and I do 50g each water and flour every 12 hours. The thing is..a day or two ago it shot up and filled half way to the top of the jar, only to deflate a bit the next day..and it hasn't really recovered since. That isn't to say I think it is dead..there are lots of small and larger sized bubbles along the sides of the starter, and it has a nice tangy smell to it and taste. I am just wondering how I can get it to perk back up again..literally. Also I don't know if maybe this had something to do with it, but I accidentally forgot to take out half one early morning and fed it..did that mess something up..some magic ratio, etc? Thanks for the help!
flanksteak

Re: A question about my Sourdough starter...

Postby MDee on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Starters are not near as complicated as many make them out to be. If you have a good amount of bubbles and that "yeast/sour fruit" smell you are good. About perking up, well I'm guessing that your mixture was a bit thicker so the bubbles (CO2) didn't just float to the top but instead became stuck in the thicker starter (like bread dough) and made it raise.

If it is thinner the bubbles just come to the top...but either thick or thin the starter is still active and ready to make bread with.

A note though....when the starter is refreshed thinner it tends to be ready sooner than when it is refreshed thicker. (Knowing that has come in handy often for myself)
MDee

Return to Grain Ferments