Basic Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Basic Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Postby AbbyRayofSunshine on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:34 am

I just started experimenting with sourdough bread this month. I noticed Wild Fermentation doesn't have just a general sourdough recipe. I'm particularly interested in whole wheat recipes, but would love any mixed flour ideas as well. In searching around the internet there are SO many different methods floating around. I'm curious what you're all using!
I just want to make a nice loaf of wheat sourdough bread. Nothin fancy. Thanks!

Cheers!
AbbyRayofSunshine

Re: Basic Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Postby Wharton on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Abby,

Bread recipes are actually deceptively simple. There are few ingredients and simple proportions. I started baking sourdough bread about 6 months ago. I grind the whole wheat flour myself using a simple 'Corona' hand mill, which makes pretty coarse flour. I typically use 3-4 cups of coarse hand-ground wheat flour, plus a cup of whole rye (ground on the same mill) and then about 4 cups of store-bought white flour.

The wet ingredients are sourdough starter (about 1.5 cups), 2 1/3 cups of milk, a couple of eggs, about 2/3 cup of butter and about 1/4 cup of honey.

I mix all the wet ingredients together, and have them at sort of lukewarm temperature, then blend the flours with them. This will create a somewhat sticky mass. I let it rest for maybe 45 minutes, then turn it out on a floured counter surface and stretch it and fold it and replace in the bowl. I repeat the stretch and fold maybe 3-4 times, each with a 45 minute break in between. It's critical to keep everything warm during the resting intervals. I put the bowl of dough in front of a wood-burning stove with a fan which keeps the surface of the bowl hot to the touch, and I keep it covered (prevents evaporation).

After that I cut into three loaves, let it rise an hour (in the same warm spot by the fireplace) then bake about 30 - 35 minutes in a nice hot 350F oven.

That's it. Simple recipe but execution and keeping everything warm is the key.

Believe it or not, the basic proportions for this recipe come from the 1977 edition of the 'Joy of Cooking' book. Some things really don't change much!
Wharton

Re: Basic Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Postby r3tic on Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I really like http://www.sourdoughhome.com it has some of the best sourdough info I have found.
r3tic

Return to Grain Ferments