Doesn't cooking the 'Grains' etc etc Kill All The Work?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Doesn't cooking the 'Grains' etc etc Kill All The Work?

Postby DavyLeo on Sat May 12, 2012 3:43 am

So let me get this str8 cuz I'm a newbie, you do all this waiting, as the magical micro-organisms do the magic fermenting, then you cook everything you just created, be it grains, breads, etc, doesn't that kill all the good guys? All that magic?

Or do some survive the high heating process? Not likely though. Anyone ever tried to make dehydrated bread, or crackers etc, Or find some type of single burner that doesnt heat over a certain degree so you can cook the grains while maintaining at least some of good guys? I know raw foodies do it all the time,(dehydrating breads, crackers, cookies etc) though it takes forever, I just feel like Murder Shoe Wrote * ol reggae song plays in my head*
DavyLeo

Re: Doesn't cooking the 'Grains' etc etc Kill All The Work?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon May 14, 2012 10:37 am

Yeah, the heat of cooking kills them all.

I've made unfermented flax crackers in the dehydrator. I don't have much experience beyond that.

But some of the benefits of fermentation aren't destroyed by heat, even if the live cultures are. If one chemical is turned into two others, changing the taste or healthfulness of the product, even after heating, that change may persist. Sourdough is a perfect example because the taste is obvious.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tim Hall on Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 am

You also may have some added benefit of some hard-to-digest elements already being pre-digested by the ferment.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby MDee on Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Actually yes...quite a bit in fact. I've found sourdough starter that is then dried out...thinly...tastes pretty good and is really healthy (it really helps me heal) and I think much better for you than sourdough bread...and I used to make and eat loaves fresh everyday for a few years.

Here is more detail on exactly what I do.

http://upside-down-nutrition.blogspot.com/p/sourdough-flakeschips.html

Good luck, and share what you find.
MDee

Return to Grain Ferments