Sourdough questions

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sourdough questions

Postby dmc on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 am

Hi,
I still haven't made anything with my sourdough starter, but it's healthy, ready, and abundant. I could just go on feeding it like I've been for two weeks, but I think I need to rustle up the courage and get on with it.
First question: Can I use any kind of flour for the bread? I have a mill and I'd like to just throw in what I've got, freshly ground.
Second: Do I have to feed it twice a day if it's at room temp or is once enough?
Third: Do I have to feed it enough water and flour to double it each time? It seems like a lot and so far, I've waisted a bunch.
Fourth: Is it better to refrigerate and save just a little, so that when I pull it out again, it gets a lot of fresh flour?

Thanks so so very much!
dmc

Re: Sourdough questions

Postby joename on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm

yes, you can use any kinda of flour for the bread. Make a sponge, let it rise. when you add your flour / water to your starter use the same type of flour and water that you began with, that way you will always have predictable results.

once a day is fine for feeding it. if you want to use it everyday, keeping it out is fine, but if you only use it once or twice a week then just feed it once and keep it in the fridge. The yeasties only slow down in the fridge, they dont stop.

you don't have to double it every time, just replace what you use that your feed / bake cycle are the same. I use half for baking and replace with the same amount.

if you keep it in the fridge as part of your cycle, take out the entire starter the day before baking.

I've seen people use as little as 1/2 cup of starter for bread, it just depends on what you have. Mostly - ENJOY!!

Joe
joename

Postby njgodfrey on Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but joined because I'm a newbie at all this and have a sourdough question, and this thread seemed appropriate rather than create a new one.

I just started a starter and had the top doubled with two pieces of cheesecloth and tightened with elastic. It's been going well and just started to bubble today. However, my problem is is that when I stepped out of the room and came back, I found that a fruit fly had breached my cheesecloth and was trapped in the top of my jar. I got it out right away, but should I throw it out or what? I'm worried it might have laid some eggs or contaminated my starter. It's so disheartening because it had just started to ferment.

thanks
njgodfrey

Postby lealdragon on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 am

I just started my first sourdough yesterday, using whole spelt flour and water from cooking potatoes. Earlier today, it had turned dark on the top, due to oxidation. I went ahead and stirred the dark part back in, but is this normal?

It doesn't look dark anymore, and is beginning to have some elasticity to it. Should I have covered it with plastic wrap to keep it from oxidizing? (I covered it with a towel but the bowel was very large so there was a lot of air space between the batter and the towel. Is it ok to use?
lealdragon

Postby ralph on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 am

just a thought but i wouldn't want to use the water from cooking potatoes, too much starch and carbs in there, and phytic acid? would rather use a water solution with a slightly acidic ph to break down the phytic acid and soften up the rye grain?
ralph

Postby MarkR on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:32 pm

>First question: Can I use any kind of flour for the bread? I have a mill and I'd like to just throw in what I've got, freshly ground.

You want to use grain flours similar to wheat like rye, millet, . High fat flours like bean, peanut, or soy don't ferment too well with sourdough. There are other cultures such as tempeh that work better with soy.

>Second: Do I have to feed it twice a day if it's at room temp or is once enough?

Mine stays healthier if I feed it twice a day. I keep mine in the refrigerator if I can't feed it more often than once per day.

>Third: Do I have to feed it enough water and flour to double it each time? It seems like a lot and so far, I've waisted a bunch.

Just keep your culture small--like a half cup total. You can use any extra flour for pancakes or use the starter to replace a portion of flour and water in other recipes.

>Fourth: Is it better to refrigerate and save just a little, so that when I pull it out again, it gets a lot of fresh flour?

Yes. I think so.
MarkR

Return to Grain Ferments