Noob needs advice - Buckwheat sourdough?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Noob needs advice - Buckwheat sourdough?

Postby VeggieVixen138 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I started out with 2 cups each of water and buckwheat flour in a quart jar with cheesecloth held by rubberband. I didn't have any fruit or veggies on hand to put in the starter like most recipes suggest to help get it going. Over the first night it overflowed through the cheesecloth. I salvaged what was in the jar and split it between 2 mason jars. Stirring 1-3 times a day there hasn't been much activity. I fed both of them a few days ago thinking they were just hungry. Now the surface of the starter looks like it has a whitish sheen. And one of the jars has some white pom-pom looking thing growing in it. I don't know if I"m supposed to be elated or disappointed. Do I keep going or start over? No camera to show you.
VeggieVixen138

Re: Noob needs advice - Buckwheat sourdough?

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 am

I would personally start over. It might be just kam but since it isn't growing anyway....I would start over and use less in the jar. It might have gotten some kind of bacteria or something that killed the good guys and allowed the wrong ones to grow. I always err towards safety...so I could be wrong.
Aliyanna

Return to Grain Ferments