Bouza

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Bouza

Postby oleg on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 am

Hello all
I found this forum from westonaprice website.
A month ago a friend of mine gave me a bottle of Bouza which he bought from Turkey. I liked it very much but do not have a recipe
how to do it.
Has someone of you made it and what will be the recipe?
I am from Ukraine and do not have the book-Wild fermentation.
But hope someone to share his recipe from the book and his experience.
Regards
Oleg
oleg

Re: Bouza

Postby treebeard bruce on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:02 am

Have you gotten a copy of the book since your post in September or found a recipe for Bouza on your own?

I looked up Bouza on Google and found two interesting webpages and site: Fermented Cereals a global perspective and BOUZA - BOUTIQUE WINERY

I then went to my bookshelf and removed my copy of Wild Fermentation and looked in the recipe section and found that it says Bouza (Ancient Egyptian Beer) and realized that retyping that would be some real work as scanning may, as well, so I Googled it and found that Google Books will let you view it on pages 144 - 145: Bouza (Ancient Egyptian Beer).

I hope that helps!

Thanks

Treebeard Bruce
treebeard bruce

Postby bouza on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:39 am

I am trying my first batch of Bouza and am not sure what the brewing directions mean in step 2 by "coarsely grind the dried malted wheat and add it to the water". Is this the crust of the bread? Should I not have incorporated the toasted sprouted wheat into the loaves? I am thinking it's the latter. I am going to try the loaf I have anyway and see how it goes, but would appreciate any clarification for next time.

Thanks
bouza

Postby jburchet on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:52 pm

From my interpretation of the recipe: you grind the dried, sprouted wheat berries and toss them in a bucket of water. and you break the partially baked loaf with your hands into the bucket. My first batch will be ready tomorrow so I'll try to remember to post the results
jburchet

Return to Grain Ferments