Full-time RV living & fermenting

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Full-time RV living & fermenting

Postby firefly426 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Good Day!

I recently moved into my small 21' Class B RV after learning to ferment a couple of months ago. That is, I learned to ferment in a real stable house with plentiful utensils and bowls and what not. Now I have a much smaller selection of items and I just finished the last of my "home-grown" sauerkraut. I'd really like to start fermenting again but my biggest challenge isn't space, it's movement. My RV is my only vehicle, so whenever I go to the store, it goes with me. When ever I go on adventures down washboarded roads, it's my RV that takes me there. And forget about a consistent temperature.

So I'm wondering what ferment recipe could take agitation? Sadly, I've heard Kombucha would be a very bad choice. Kimchi would stink the place up. And as previously mentioned, I have very few supplies. I can buy what's needed, as needed, but storage for extra items in general is lacking. So I'm also looking for recipe ideas that require fewer ingredients.

I will find a way to make it all work! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! And I'd really love to connect to someone who is in the same situation as me!

Thank you!
firefly426

Re: Full-time RV living & fermenting

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:37 pm

How nomadic are you? Can you bury your ferments in the earth and come back for them in 2-6 months?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Full-time RV living & fermenting

Postby firefly426 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Now that is an intriguing idea! Though somewhat dependent on the soil I'd think. I'm a workamper with no homebase and although that wouldn't work for me at my present location (NM and its hard packed soil), I'm heading up to North Dakota next for at least 5 months. I'll have to keep that in mind.
firefly426

Return to Miscellaneous