Europe's Best Sauerkraut

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Europe's Best Sauerkraut

Postby knewschool on Tue May 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Has anybody traveled in Europe (or is from Europe) and would recommend some countries that are known for their awesome kraut? Or perhaps some towns or specific places in Europe that specialize in producing some of the best kraut around. I'm thinking about traveling at some point in the near future and would like to learn more about kraut in Europe.
knewschool

Re: Europe's Best Sauerkraut

Postby Fubar on Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Germany, obviously.
Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Re: Europe's Best Sauerkraut

Postby anders-2011 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:27 pm

I am Swedish, but living in Germany (in Kiel) and I can verify that the Sauerkraut in Germany is both varied and excellent. A personal favorite is the Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen mit Rieslingkraut.

That said, the Sauerkraut they serve in Alsace in France (German border) is also very good. Polish versions are really tasty as well.

I would perhaps consider flying to Munich (Müchen) to eat some local food there and then head for the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) and cover Alsace from there as well.

Being Swedish, I must also recommend going to Sweden in August to tryout the fermented herring ("Surströmming" in Swedish) which is traditionally sold only that time of year. Sweden also has a wide variety of pickled herring which great to have as well.
anders-2011

Return to Miscellaneous