On fermentation weights

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: On fermentation weights

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:13 pm

I haven't done it with beans, but have with small peppers and kraut, both of which work out OK. Try a small batch and see what you think.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby RogerL on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm

mattfara5 wrote:Hi. I was hoping to get a growing list of solutions to this problem. I think I remember reading someone using a plastic bag filled with water, which presumably would fit into any reasonably sized jar.

Any other creative solutions?

And sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I'm still a little new here. Please direct me where to go if so. Love this stuff, though. I've got pickles, onions, kraut, and kimchi all going at once now!

Thx
Matt

I use a plastic mesh bag of glass marbles you can get at the dollar stores. The marbles will conform to any shape.
Roger
RogerL

Postby kimchiguy on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:05 am

Except for miso, which I ferment in crocks, I do everything in glass jars, mostly one-gallon, and using Easy Fermenter lids. A while back I bought a roll of food safe, fairly rigid plastic mesh made for dehydrator shelves. I've found this material works great for keeping stuff submerged in brine. I carefully cut it to fit flat below the taper at top of jar, fold it to get it there and let it spring flat. It's rigid enough to keep stuff at that level. I hardly ever need a weight but I have plenty of glass ones if I do. I'm pretty hooked on lids with a rubber seal that lets gas escape while keeping air out. One fun thing I've discovered--I find at thrift stores quite a variety of sizes of glass carousel plates, from microwave ovens. These are great for submerging cabbage in the initial soaking phase of making kimchi.
kimchiguy

Postby Ido on Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:46 am

hi all
regarding glass weights, any reason not to use any type of glass?
just found a candle base of glass with suitable dimensions for me... wondering if there is food-acid safety isuues with glass... of course I'll clean and boil but besides that?
cheers
Ido

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:17 am

I don't know the details, but I've read that lots of glass has impurities that come out in acid. But I'm not really sure what to do about it or how to be sure you're safe. Maybe stick to glass that's intended for food-contact and hope that regulatory agencies are keeping things good?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Ido on Tue May 02, 2023 6:59 am

thank you Christopher
yup, sounds solid advice
Ido

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous