Air Lock Water Levels

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Air Lock Water Levels

Postby Mucho Picante on Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:28 am

Hey Folks,

I'm running two 1/2 gallon pepper ferments. Both airlocks seem to have a water level issue. Or I just think that there is an issue.

I fill the airlocks to a level between the two lines on the airlock's body. A day or two later the level has dropped way down and another level is visible up inside the float to the top of the air tube. (Sorry for the lame description,,, See the attached photo.)

The water does not appear to be getting into the ferment. It's level seems to remain constant.

Any suggestions or advise will be welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0550.jpg (78.89 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
Mucho Picante

Re: Air Lock Water Levels

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 am

If I'm getting it, the relative pressure inside the vessels has dropped,sucking the water in the water-lock toward the inside. This would happen if you packed warm peppers that then cooled. But also, if a high-pressure front moved into your area.

We have in the past talked about the pressure-change caused by microbes, but I'm not finding it in search just now. In general, we expect the pressure inside to increase as CO2 is emitted, but it seems that people with e.g. Gartopf Harsch crocks typically see a withdrawal of pressure after active CO2 production stops.

So, did you just start these or have they been fermenting a while? Has this been happening all along? Has the weather changed?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Mucho Picante on Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Christopher,

You rattled my brain and I think you hit the mail on the head with pressure differentials playing with me.

I find when I notice a water drop outside the plastic bladder the water inside the bladder increases. If I gently pull the bladder out of the airlock and place it back in the water level returns correctly.

So, I feel that you are correct and old Florida summer pressures are the cause.

I started these ferments six weeks ago. Peppers and water were at room temperature (76f). I started noticing this phenomena a couple of weeks ago.

They appear to be doing well,,, no bad smell, no hazy water, and no khan yeast.

Thank you for the response. I'll press onward.........

Mike
Mucho Picante

Re: Air Lock Water Levels- UpDate

Postby Mucho Picante on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:45 pm

Christopher,

Days ago I drained my airlocks and replaced the water, which was from our well, with some of my Vodka. Well, it has been days now and the locks are behaving wonderfully....

Go figure...?

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0573 copy.jpg
IMG_0573 copy.jpg (157.13 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
Mucho Picante

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:21 am

I can't think of any reason ethanol would react differently to pressure changes. It's slightly lighter (less dense), but it's hard to imagine that makes a difference. I'd guess the weather has just been stable since you made the change.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Mucho Picante on Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Christopher,

Yes, you may be correct with the weather,,,, or I just calmed down and let the system work....

Thanks
Mucho Picante

Return to Miscellaneous