Fermentation is bad for you?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Fermentation is bad for you?

Postby dandelionwine on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:44 pm

The raw food hype is nonsense. There was a German writer I think her name was Barbara Ruetting she advocated to throw out pots and pans. As far as I know fro all the raw food she ate she died very early of cancer.
I do not tell that raw food is unhealthy but only raw food is unhealthy.
The only thing I can think of is that fermented foods are bad for your teeth because of all the acid they contain and I think you should eat them together with other food rather than snack on them between the meals. (Which is not healthy anyway)
What about the salt? A Chinese guy told me that there is a region in China were they eat a lot of salted vegetables (like kraut) and there is a high incidence of stomach cancer.
dandelionwine

Postby alisoncc on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I sincerely believe a theory that mankind evolved to where it is by being able to cook food, as this releases far more nutrients than otherwise would be available for little energy input. An example is where large carniverous animals would fight to the death, with other animals then feeding on the dead carcase. Humans could come along afterwards, when there was nothing left but the bones. Place the larger bones on a fire and the heat would crack the bones allowing access the most nutritious part - the bone marrow. Strong probability that the marrow may well have fermented by time they got to eat it.

Whilst many would accept that cruciferous vegetables are good for you, it isn't widely known that they produce Oxalic Acid to deter creatures eating them. Plants aren't stupid you know. :P

Only by cooking can the acid be rendered inert. If like me you get pains and headaches from eating broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. Try cooking them until they are really soft and squashy, like our Mothers used to do. They weren't stupid either.

Hugs Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby pinkiemarie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Wow. I started reading this article but my ability to continue reading ended about 3 paragraphs in when the author started railing on about salt. The author has clearly never heard of "the ocean" which happens to be 3.5% salt and teeming with life.
pinkiemarie

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous