Water Kefir Skin Breakout, not going away

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Water Kefir Skin Breakout, not going away

Postby mangoskinz on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:24 am

Hi, I recently started growing my own water kefir about 2 weeks ago from grains I recieved in the mail. I used reverse osmosis water, conventional brown sugar, and a little molasses. The kefir grew just fine, creating a delicious bubbling drink.

After the first batch fermented, a friend and I drank about a shot glass worth before bed, and the next night when I was taking a shower I noticed a few red spots around my stomach and chest, maybe 4-5 about the size of a dime. I also noticed when I scrubbed my skin, a tremendous amount of dead skin was peeling off, I proceeded to clean all the skin making sure I got it all off. The next few days I noticed the spots increasing in number, especially where the dead skin scrubbed off.. my ribcage, back, and especially waist and thighs. The spots arent raised at all, dont itch or hurt and they kinda look like a bunch of small light red hickies (blood sploches). each sploch is about the size of a dime. I shrugged it off and stopped drinking the kefir, but its been 2 weeks and these spots havent gone away!

my friend hasnt had any trouble! its her first time drinking kefir and shes been downing shot glasses of it everyday without any symptoms, and she feels great.

It really uplifts my mood and makes me feel great, I have no negative side effects at all trying to digest it.

I first had water kefir 6 months ago when I was backpacking through southern india, and I use to drink a liter a day made by a farm in auroville. I had no side effects... I also eat relatively very healthy organic vegan diet

anyone have any idea what this is or what I can do? much thanks :)
mangoskinz

Re: Water Kefir Skin Breakout, not going away

Postby aehebay on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am

Hello,
Sorry to hear about this- sounds very uncomfortable and pretty upsetting too! You know, it is possible the two are completely unrelated.

Since you seem to be suffering from a rash on a large part of your body, please do consider visiting a doctor or clinic if you can, just to make sure it is nothing serious.

Good luck, and feel better!
aehebay

Postby mangoskinz on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am

thanks for the reply, I thought it might have to do with the yeast/microflora change since I havent had anything like this before, i figured i'd make a post to see if anyones heard of this or has tips. Ive been drinking diluted raw applecider vinegar and I spent an hour sweating in a sauna today. hoping it will help xD
mangoskinz

Postby aehebay on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:45 am

This is a very late reply. Do you notice new spots only after getting out of bed in the morning? If so, maybe there is something in your bed that is causing the spots? New detergent, or perhaps (so sorry if this is offensive) bedbugs?
aehebay

Return to Miscellaneous